Still . . . . . after all these years

Time is flowing on so quickly and I feel like I'm sitting on the deck of the City View Tavern eating a fresh roast beef sandwich with onions on rye, sipping a limed Corona, and watching time slipping away.

Thursday, November 28, 2002

Last weekend I held a yard sale. It's not something that I was originally fond of, but, like many other activities in my life, I took to it and made it pleasurable. Now I try to fit one in whenever weather and weekend schedules permit.

I have several friends who steer "stuff" my way, so there's an ongoing turnover. If fact, this weekend, as I looked around, I realized that only about 10% of what I was selling was originally mine. Each time I hold a sale, I get more organized and more "professional" in my operation.

One thing that has been pretty consistent throughout these periodic sales is music. One weekend I did nothing but Van Morrison. By that I mean that I began with his first album (when he was with Them) and played every one of his albums in the order in which they were released. Of course I use the term "album" merely as a nostalgic descriptor since this is a new millennium and I am, of course, playing CDs. Then I had a weekend of Neil Young. One weekend was nothing but Santana. Then there was a weekend of Grateful Dead.

This past weekend was Bob Dylan. In the case of every one of these artists I have all of their CDs up until about 5 or 6 years ago. In the future I will have a James Taylor Weekend, a Beach Boys Weekend, a Joni Mitchell Weekend, a Beatles Weekend, a Frank Sinatra Weekend, a Doors Weekend, a Billy Joel Weekend, a David Bowie Weekend, a Bonnie Raitt Weekend, and a K.D. Laing Weekend. I may also have a Christmas Music Weekend next month if I'm up for it and the weather and schedules permit.

I mention all of this because I just got through watching and listening to the two-hour Paul McCartney Special: "Back in the U.S." on ABC TV. And there's something that I've got to say on this Thanksgiving Eve. I am so grateful to have lived during this time that has surrounded my life. I'm aware, at 57, that it's only a matter of time before those of my "generation" will be gone from this life experience. But, oh God, what incredible experiences we have had. I try to explain to our grandchildren how different life was before they were born and how dramatic the changes were that took place in our lives. To them, life is change, but for us, change seemed to creep up on us and propel us into an exciting and shocking new future beyond one's imagination.

And through it all has been the music. Oh God, the music. On the McCartney Special, one saw men and women, young and old, weep with emotion. One saw multiple generations come together in a common lyric, a melody that animated the events of our lives in a way that forever burned them into our memories so that, with their remembrance, we are motivated to move, to dance.

When I was much younger, I used various substances to alter my consciousness sufficiently enough that I could move, that I could groove, that I could flow and become one with this music that was the backdrop of our lives. But somewhere along the line, a long time ago, the substances were no longer necessary to spark the internal homogenation of the music. I used to detest it when I heard people say, "I'm high on life," but now I, too, am high on life. And I'm high on the music. And I am so grateful.

I know that many members of each new generation get introduced to, exposed to, that music that was the backdrop for the beginning of the acceleration of human evolution during my lifetime. But to have been there when that music, those words, those chords, were first played, is surely a blessed privilege. And, on this Thanksgiving Eve I just wanted to say how grateful I am.

I have a music trivia test that I created and recorded several years ago. It consists of three questions. The first question is, "Name the artist and the song." The second question is, "Name the artist." And the third question is, "Name the song." The recorded hint for the first song is a single guitar chord. The hint for the second question is a 16-minute sequence of instrumental introductions to over 100 songs. And the final question is the song in question, itself, in its entirety.

Regarding the first question, I have only met a handful of people who did not know the answer. Everyone else knows both the name of the song and the artist, merely from listening to a single guitar chord. I have given that chord the moniker, "The Chord That Heralded Change," because it entered our consciousness at a time when reality was beginning to change dramatically, and because it is a chord with which almost everyone identifies, even if they weren't alive at the time that it was originally released upon world consciousness.

I've only met three people who couldn't answer the second question. If you want a hint, it's the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World. Before you argue with that claim, you need to listen to my 16-minute "hint."

For the third question, I give lots of information. The artist is Don Ellis and His Electric Orchestra recorded life at the Fillmore in San Francisco in 1969. Furthermore, I can guarantee that it is a song that you have probably sung along to, at one time or another, even if you don't sing. And yet, I've only met one person in my lifetime who could name the song in the first 3 1/2 minutes of its presentation (that person turned out to be my own brother).

So, have you guessed the answer to any of the three trivia questions? Think about it.

Time to crash. Again, I just wanted to express my extreme gratitude for the music which has been the backdrop of my life. God bless you all.